Welcome to Old Mission Peninsula School
Home of the Panthers!
Old Mission Peninsula School is located high on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan on beautiful Old Mission Peninsula and is one of 12 elementary schools in the Traverse City Area Public Schools (TCAPS) district. With its rural backdrop overlooking cherry orchards and panoramic views, Old Mission provides students with a unique elementary school experience.
Old Mission's preschool through fifth grade students benefit from a variety of activities that this special setting has to offer. A spring-fed pond, nature walk, and amphitheater offer excellent opportunities for hands-on learning every season of the year. Students enjoy tours of local farms where they learn about the local apple and cherry industries and how to make maple syrup. The Little Buddies program pairs upper elementary students with lower elementary students to read, do projects, and participate in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) activities. Old Mission Peninsula School is also home to the Peninsula Community Library, so not only do our students feel at home here, but so do our community members.
Old Mission Peninsula School staff works closely to create academic excellence by guiding all students to achieve their fullest potential in a warm, safe environment that fosters pride, respect and responsibility. We are committed to the growth and high achievement of every student at all levels. As a small school, every child is known and embraced by every staff member. Students feel safe, happy, and cared for at Old Mission. The strong community of parents, students and staff is something that makes our school really special!
Environmental Pond Laboratory
Old Mission's Outdoor Project Brings Student Learning to Life
A Family Foundation and Nature Conservancy Grant worked with the Old Mission PTO and TCAPS to improve our outdoor areas.
Around 1997, one of the parents of Old Mission was determined to utilize the natural resources of our grounds. This parent, having a high degree in water studies and environmental studies, was able to develop ideas and lessons that focused on getting children outside and learning about ecosystems, pond studies and nature in general. In 2008 this area, known as “The Pond,” was developed further, allowing for even more learning opportunities. In addition to this wonderful area, Old Mission also has an outdoor classroom tucked into the shade of the woods where children and teachers can let nature inspire them. New benches by the pond have been a nice addition to the project.
*Photos and documents provided by and the property of Peninsula Community Library.
Technology in the Classroom
Old Mission Peninsula School offers a multitude of technology resources to enhance students' learning in the classroom.
- TCAPS 24/7 Anytime Online Learning Resource: TCAPS 24/7 is a resource designed for students, grades K-5, to use when school is closed due to inclement weather. Students can access a number of age and grade appropriate lessons using a computer or mobile device. Many of the lessons come from resources that students are already using in the classroom, including math lessons from Khan Academy. It also allows students to continue lessons they were working on in class or to try something new. Participation is voluntary, but students can submit their work to their teacher when they have completed a lesson.
- TCAPS Elementary Technology Website: By providing access to exciting educational activities, this site encourages students to develop math, science and literacy skills while learning to use the Internet. Various age-appropriate learning zones offer activities with colorful graphics and user-friendly interfaces.
- TumbleBooks at Peninsula Community Library: TumbleBook Library is an online collection of TumbleBooks – animated, talking picture books which teach kids the joy of reading in a format they'll love. TumbleBooks are created by adding animation, sound, music and narration to existing picture books in order to produce an electronic picture book which you can read, or have read to you.
- Panther Productions Livestream: Morning news and announcements are livestreamed daily by Old Mission Peninsula School students.
- Polycom Virtual Field Trips: A polycom is a video conferencing tool that is used for many purposes. Imagine a virtual field trip to a remote location with field experts! NASA? Aquatic research? An interview with a Jazz musician? The possibilities are endless.
- iPads: Old Mission PTO has provided a full classroom set of iPads for student use.
- Chromebooks: View information about the Chromebooks used by TCAPS students.
- SmartBoards: Old Mission has SmartBoards in 10 classrooms as well as 4-5 sets of Student Response units. [View SmartBoard Video Demo & Information] [View Student Response Video Demo & Information]