TCAPS Board of Education
The TCAPS Board of Education is made up of seven members elected to four-year terms. The Board of Education meets twice per month and holds quarterly retreats. School board members also serve on Board of Education committees, attend local and regional meetings and host community dialogues.
Interested in Becoming A Board Member?
The Role of a Board Member
Becoming a board member is a big responsibility that provides an important service to the community and its youth. As a board member, you will be asked to provide input and direction on a wide variety of issues including the district's educational programs, financial priorities and overall policymaking. Another key component of serving on a school board is community relations. School boards help build community understanding of and support for public education.
The Board of Education is responsible for:
- Envisioning the school district's educational direction and to set goals/strategies that will guide the district toward that vision.
- Hiring a superintendent to implement the board's policies and effectively manage the district to accomplish its goals.
- Monitoring/assessing the district's performance and to engage/inform the community.
- Advocating for students and public schools within the community, state and nation.
With such great responsibilities, it's important for board members to recognize that there will be a lot to learn as they begin their new position, not only about the school district itself, but also about their role on the board. To assist individual board members navigate their new role and to help the school board function effectively as a whole, all board members are encouraged to:
- Participate in TCAPS' school board orientation process under the guidance of experienced board members and the superintendent.
- Attend a workshop for new board members conducted by state and area school board associations (MASB).
- Review TCAPS' board policies.
Board Member Resources
- TCAPS Board Policy 0140: Board Membership
- TCAPS Board Standards of Practice Agreement
- A School Board Member's Resource Guide: First Year Orientation
Provided by Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB)
- 2018 Candidate's Guide to School Board Elections
- MASB Checklist for New Board Member Orientation
- Open Meetings Act
- Robert's Rules of Order Cheat Sheet
- Robert's Rules of Order Quick Reference
Board Member Vacancy Timeline & Information
Board of Education Vacancy
Appointment of Board Member
January 1, 2017 - June 25, 2018 Timeline
- June 25, 2018 - Jan Geht Resigned Effective Immediately
- June 26, 2018 - Board President Falconer sends letter to Staff and Community
- June 26, 2018 - Press Release Issued Re: Resignation & Notice of Vacancy
- July 5, 2018 - 5:00 PM Deadline for Submission of Letters of Interest and Resumes *
- July 6, 2018 - 5:00 PM Deadline for Submission of Answers to Board Questions
- July 6, 2018 - Packets for all Candidates are emailed to Board HR/Policy Committee
- July 11, 2018 - Board HR/Policy Committee:
- Reviews All Candidates – narrowing field to finalists
- Makes recommendation for interview by full board
- July 12, 2018 Packets for Finalists are emailed to Full Board
- July 23, 2018 Board of Education Meeting:
- Interviews of Finalists
- Appointment of Board Member
* Upon submission of a letter of interest, candidates will be given questions that require a written response by 5:00 PM on July 6, 2018. Candidates are therefore encouraged to submit their letter of interest as soon as possible.
Board Vacancy Information
Length of Appointment
- A written Letter of Interest, including:
- A short statement regarding the qualities and experience the candidate brings to the position,
- Resume, and
- Contact information (i.e. street address, phone number & email address).
Nov. 2018 Regular School Election Information
TCAPS Board of Education will have four, four-year terms open for the November 6, 2018 election. The four-year terms will run from January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2022. Prospective candidates may pick up their candidate information packets at the Grand Traverse County Clerk's Office, 400 Boardman Avenue, Traverse City, MI (231.922.4760).
Dates to Remember
- Nomination of Board Candidate(s)
Tuesday, July 24, 2018
(Affidavit of Identity & Petition or $100 Filing Fee - with County Clerk's Office)
- Withdrawal of Board Candidate(s)
Friday, July 27, 2018 - 4:00 PM
(In writing with County Clerk's Office)
- Absentee Ballots
Saturday, September 22, 2018
Must be available to voters no later than this date
- Registration Notice Publication
Once, on or before Tuesday, October 2, 2018
- Last Day of Registration to Vote
Tuesday, October 9, 2018
- Write-in Candidates Must File Declaration of Intent
On or before Friday, October 26 2018 - 4:00 PM
- Election Notice Publication
Once, on or before Tuesday, October 30, 2018
- Election Day
Tuesday, November 6, 2018
2018 Board Members
Erik J. Falconer, President
Kelly J. Clark, Trustee
|Sue Kelly, Vice President
PO Box 847 / 49685
Term Expires: 12/2018
|Scott C. Hardy, Treasurer
521 Washington Street / 49686
Term Expires: 12/2018
|Jane Klegman, Trustee
528 Timber Crest Drive/ 49686
Term Expires: 12/2020
Doris E. Ellery, Secretary
2018 Board Committees & Members
- Agenda Review Committee
Members: President, Vice President, 1 rotating board member and Superintendent P. Soma
- Communications Committee
Members: S. Kelly (Chair), S. Hardy, J. Klegman, (Alternate) K. Clark
- Curriculum Committee
Members: D. Ellery (Chair), K. Clark, J. Klegman, (Alternate) S. Kelly
- Finance/Operations Committee
Members: S. Hardy (Chair), K. Clark, Vacant, (Alternate) E. Falconer
- HR/Policy Committee
Members: E. Falconer (Chair), D. Ellery, Vacant, (Alternate) S. Kelly
- TC – TCAPS Collective Resource Committee
Members: E. Falconer, S. Hardy
- Board of Education Members & Committees
Board & Committee Meeting Schedules
Board & Committee Agendas, Minutes, Documents
Click on the links below to view agendas and minutes from the following board committees:
- Meetings of the Full Board
- Board Communications Committee
- Board Curriculum Committee
- Board Finance/Operations Committee
- Board HR/Policy Committee
- Board Legal Counsel Interview Committee
- TBAISD/TCAPS Joint Board Finance Committee
- TC-TCAPS Collective Resource Committee
For More Information
Board agendas and minutes will be posted on the TCAPS website for the most recent 12 month period. For agendas or minutes dated beyond 12 months or for more information or questions, please contact Recording Secretary to the Board Stacey Hozak at 231.933.1725 or firstname.lastname@example.org.